Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wray eager to return to Roughnecks

Devan Wray can hardly wait to return to the lacrosse floor.
In the meantime, the Calgary Roughnecks defender will be satisfied with simply attracting a bit less attention at the gym.
After spending two weeks in hospital with a serious infection in his leg, Wray had been working out with an outpatient IV in his arm and a medical pack slung over his shoulder.
“Yeah, I got a few sideways looks at the gym,” Wray said. “Once I left (the hospital), the doctors said it was alright to resume some light physical activity. I maybe went a little bit more than light physical activity, but they said light physical activity was good, so I did just a little bit more than that.
“I’ve been doing what I could, getting on the treadmill and riding the bike just to stay in shape.”
Wray’s outpatient IV was removed Wednesday, and the 30-year-old has been cleared to return to action with the National Lacrosse League club.
The West Division-leading Roughnecks (7-3) are headed to Everett, Wash., for Sunday’s showdown with the Stealth (5-5), although Wray isn’t expecting to make the trip. With the Riggers on a two-game winning streak, head coach Dave Pym is understandably hesitant to tinker with his lineup.
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?” Wray said. “The guys have been playing great, on a bit of a roll here, and the bottom line is — and I had this conversation with Coach Pym — that if there’s a spot that opens up or somebody goes down or they just want to switch things up and give other guys reps, I’ll be ready to go.”
Considering his scenario a month ago, that’s a major improvement.
After a routine cut on his shin developed into a life-threatening infection, Wray was admitted to Foothills Hospital, where he was treated for two weeks. At one point, his leg was swollen to twice its normal size.
Wray was released from hospital just a few days before Riggers owner Brad Banister announced the club was in dire financial straits, but the eight-year NLL veteran insists he wasn’t worried that the club would fold before he had a chance to return to the fold.
 To read the rest of the story by the Calgaray Sun's Wes Gilbertson click here

No comments:

Post a Comment