Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tavares adds to legend


Add yet another page to the list of heroics by John Tavares.
Tavares, the all-time leading scorer in the history of the National Lacrosse League, scored with 2:12 left in Saturday's game with the Boston Blazers. The score held up as the game-winner, as the Bandits took a 12-10 decision to the delight of the 16,347 on hand in HSBC Arena.
The goal capped a four-goal, two-assist performance that put him back in the top 10 in the league in scoring with 48 points this season -- not bad for a man of 42.
"He never seems to get old," Bandits coach Darris Kilgour said. "I told him I've loved watching him for the past 20 years, and I hope I get to watch him for three or four more."
"He keeps surprising me," teammate Tom Montour said. "He does things out there that I can't do, and I'm 11 or 12 years younger than he is."
The Blazers had tied the score at 10-10 with 3:38 left on a power-play goal by Josh Sanderson to set up Tavares' dramatics.
"It was a great pass by [Mark] Steenhuis. It was hard enough that I could get the inside line," Tavares said. "[Kyle] Rubisch had been playing me all game, and I knew eventually I'd take him underneath. I had a lane, and I was tripping on the play -- I stubbed my toe on the turf. I made it look like I was diving, and I saw the goalie [Nick Rose] falling with me. So I obviously put it back short side. I just kind of lobbed in there. I was just trying to stay out of the crease before the ball went in."
 To read the rest of the story  by Budd Bailey of the Buffalo News please click here http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article365771.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment