Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thompson up to the challenge

Here's a great feature on Akwesasne's Mike Thompson, who has been thrust into the limelight between the Buffalo Bandits pipes this season.  
 _______

Goaltender Mike Thompson is now in his fifth season as the backstop for the Buffalo Bandits, and he doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
The 33-year-old netminder will be looked upon to carry most of the workload this year due to an injury that will shelve Ken Montour for the remainder of the season.  Thompson started the team’s first three games and has played 184:01 straight minutes while posting a 2-1 record and ranks fifth in the NLL with a goals against average of 9.78.  He is coming off his best statistical season after finishing the 2010 campaign ranked second in the NLL with career-best .809 save percentage and registered a career-best goals against average of 9.92.
“I’m comfortable and willing to take the workload,” said Thompson.  “I’m sad to see Kenny down, but I talked to him recently and he has high hopes.  I’m looking forward to carrying on the workload and hopefully lead the Bandits to a championship.”
Thompson has handled a tough workload before as he has been around lacrosse for a long time.  He grew up in Akwesasne, Ontario, and was introduced to the sport at a very young age.
“It’s been a family sport for a long time,” he said.  “My uncle always had a stick and gave me my first one when I was three or four.  I always have been athletic and tried baseball, but lacrosse really stuck out, which is why I am here today.”
Lacrosse was always been a fun hobby for Thompson, but he didn’t put the pads on until he was a teenager.
To read the rest of the feature click here http://www.bandits.com/newsX.asp?type=Features&aID=225

- by Michael Jafari www.bandits.com

No comments:

Post a Comment