Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wilson named Elora Mohawks head coach

Rick Wilson has been named the new head coach of the Elora Mohawks, and he's already looking forward to the challenges that come with that position.
For Wilson, it's a slight change of direction follow two years as general manager of the KW Braves junior 'A' club, but it's one he feels is right for him.
"I was going to take the summer off, but this opportunity to get back into coaching came up and I didn't want to turn it down," he said. "I love the game and being around it. The kids are sponges for knowledge, I think I can help them learn about the game even more. It just gets in your blood."
WIth Dean George stepping down after two successful seasons, Wilson knows his hands will be full in filling those shoes. It's an accepted fact that comes with the job - when you coach the Elora Mohawks, excellence is expected.
"I bring a lot of knowledge and experience to this job, having been around lacrosse for most of my life," he said. "I've got big shoes to fill with Dean leaving, but I don't feel any extra pressure. I know the team's history and I'm confident in my abilities. Everything is how you perceive it - I want to play 'Run & Gun', pushing the ball up the floor relentlessly against our opponents."
Without having taken an extended look at his returning roster, Wilson said he'll work with newly named GM Brad Hutchison to make sure the 'Hawks remain competitive. Hutchison said WIlson made the most sense to fill the Elora job when his experience was factored together with his ideas.
"Going through this process, Rick's experience in playing the game and coaching at the pro, senior and junior levels was a big factor," he said. "It turned out to be an easy choice for us. When we were interviewing candidates, we talked with them about a lot of things - including the pressure that comes with this job. Rick's aware of all that, and given his experience we didn't think it would be a problem for him to handle it."

To read the rest of the story by Matt Harris of the Fergus-Elora News Express click here http://www.centrewellington.com/sports/article/96576

No comments:

Post a Comment